Author Topic: Evaluating HSMWorks  (Read 2755 times)

Michael Webster

• Fremont Cutting Dies
Evaluating HSMWorks
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »
Greetings -

My company is currently evaluating a number of SW-integrated CAM packages (we're using Edgecam at the moment - tired of the bugs, outdated and slow interface)

We've been looking at Solidcam and camworks as well, but I've really been blown away by HSMworks, with its speed, clean interface and stability.  I've got a few questions or concerns however, and am hoping to get some feedback (still waiting to hear back from my var):

• - Are there any eventual plans to expand the tool library implementation to allow for workpiece material selection - as it stands now, it appears that I will need to keep separate libraries of largely similar tooling for each material type we machine - not a dealbreaker, but it would be nice to know something's on the roadmap to make this a bit more robust in the future.
  • - 2-d rest contour machining - I realize this is available in the 3-d contouring interface, but I think it would be appropriate to have it for 2d as well.
  • - Helical 2-d contouring - going around a profile in a continuous z-feed based on the stepdown, with leadin and out on first and last cut only.

Thanks, and again, fantastic product!

René Fonseca

• Development
  • Administrator
Re: Evaluating HSMWorks
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:49:41 PM »
Thanks for your nice feedback.

We have deliberately avoided adding direct material settings for ease of use. You should just create one tool library per material combination and give the library the appropriate description.

2D rest machining is currently being finalized.

You can turn on "ramp" for 2D contour to get a ramp down your wall.

I'll post some pictures shortly.

René Fonseca

• Development
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:55:56 PM »
Here is the 2D contour with ramp enabled.

René Fonseca

• Development
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »
Simple 2D pocket with rest machining enabled. Feature will be released with HSMWorks 2012 at the latest.

Michael Webster

• Fremont Cutting Dies
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 01:43:07 PM »
Thanks for the responses!

I didn't realize the ramp option could apply to the entire contour (had to take my roughing stepdowns out for it to work right).

I guess I'm ok with the tool library being the way it is - I'm not against simplicity, I suppose I can make one library complete then copy and just have to adjust speeds and feeds.

Mike

Glen Lewis

• Alpac
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 01:31:00 AM »
Hi, I'm also evaluating this awesome software at the moment and in responce to the question raised regarding the tool library, the first thing I did was to create a new library for each material type we machine with it's own set of tools and feeds and speeds. Once this is in place the speed at which you can program a job based on your own knowledge based feeds and speeds is fantastic. Simple is so good.

As for solidcam and camworks, I have used both, the later for a few years...they are both rubbish compared to HSMWorks! IMHO!  ;D
Glen Lewis
Product Development/CNC Programmer

René Fonseca

• Development
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 01:36:07 AM »
Thanks for your nice feedback.