Author Topic: HSMExpress  (Read 2534 times)

fil

• HSMXpress User
HSMExpress
« on: December 31, 2012, 08:36:38 PM »
Hi, I'm new user of HSMExpress trying to use it with LinuxCNC and a small hobby router. Can somebody tell me to which height according HMS terminology I need to home my Z axis. I tried few  different ways and somehow can't figure it out.

Regards,
Filip

Charles Davis

• Reseller
    • NexGenCAM
Re: HSMExpress
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:18:30 PM »
There is no parameter in HSMXpress to home the Z-axis. It is likely a G or M-code that is output in the file to retract Z.  On a Fanuc machine it would be: G91 G28 Z0

On your machine it may be something else.

In either case, this is a code that is forced out with each tool change by the post, and requires no specific action by you.  However, it requires a post processor modification to output the code.

I suggest you contact the manufacturer, and look at the Programming examples for the machine. Manually edit the code in the editor to validate the code. Once you know which code it takes you can modify the post to output it.

fil

• HSMXpress User
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 12:34:35 PM »
Thank you Charles.
This is exactly what I did - I modified the emc.cps file to output the code I needed.
Maybe I wasn't clear with my question. I didn't ask how to home the Z from HSMXpress. This is a hobby machine and I home it manually and Z0 is the stock surface. I asked how to set the heights based on that. As I couldn't figure it out I set now all heights to "0" and modified the post file so it makes the g-code I need.

Keith Clausen

• Reseller
    • Solid Code Solutions
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »
Thank you Charles.
This is exactly what I did - I modified the emc.cps file to output the code I needed.
Maybe I wasn't clear with my question. I didn't ask how to home the Z from HSMXpress. This is a hobby machine and I home it manually and Z0 is the stock surface. I asked how to set the heights based on that. As I couldn't figure it out I set now all heights to "0" and modified the post file so it makes the g-code I need.

Hi Filip, the G91 G28 Z0 block is a statndard Fanuc incremental retract statement that would send the spindle to maximum clearance. Is this what you were looking for.

fil

• HSMXpress User
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »
Thanks Keith,

Actually this statement was causing me trouble.
My machine is very simple - it doesn't have even limit switches.
When I want to machine something I set "Z0" to the stock surface. So my save clearance would be as example Z +2.
As I said already I couldn't make it and as a workaround I modified the output file in order to give me what I wanted.